Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Filtering Reality Article


The Filtering Reality article really surprised me. Augmenting reality seems a little scary. Facial recognition and blocking certain people that sponsor Sarah Palin or are anti-gay marriage seems extreme. Blocking reality with pop-ups and advertisements is not something I would want to do. The AR system just seeks to shield people from how the world really is, while forcing their virtual advertisements on people's phones. I agree with Cascio that this type of system will promote centrism. The world and communication are about sharing views and values, not blocking them. I personally don't want the physical world to be blocked out, I want to see it how it really is. I don't want to live in some virtual world that's going to feed me ads anyway. I want to see someone's shirt because someone's style expresses who they are; I don't want to see some pop-up ad placed over a person's unique piece of clothing. The idea that the "wrong" people can be blocked by this system is preposterous. Just because someone is a Republican or a Democrat doesn't make them the "wrong" person to be around. To be a united and tolerant society, blocking people out like they don't exist will only make things worse. Cascio had it right: "The harder answer, but ultimately the correct one, would be to strengthen our society’s ability to tolerate diverse viewpoints—to encourage not muddy centrism, but a basic ability to hear out, and to see, fellow citizens with a measure of respect."

No comments:

Post a Comment