Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Global Day of Inaction

Yesterday, I received an email from the One Organization (which I'm a part of) stating that it was the Global Day of Action to stand up against extreme poverty. The email proceeded to say that us members, can put "I’m Standing Up against poverty today with one. Please post this as your status and join me." as their facebook and twitter statuses.

Now, I know that this is not a huge form of action, but this is a way of informing other people that there is a lot of poverty and we need to do something about it. One is an organization that allows its members to pressure government leaders to act and aid global poverty. It's a way of mobilizing like-minded people and it shows that we're trying to make some sort of impact (and these days, the web is a great place to go for that).

I was upset that I couldn't join in with other members to inform people about One. I felt like I wasn't part of the team and couldn't play my small role in this virtual "protest."

No comments:

Post a Comment